What has Raleigh meant for Luyi

The thought of helping the poor community was already in my mind since young but I do not have the courage and confidence to take a step further. My parents are very protective, always trying their best to provide me with everything that I demand for.

When I was introduced to Raleigh expedition (thanks to pei ting n my sis), I was very excited about the adventure and community projects. I told myself if I let go the opportunity again, I’ll never get out there to help the people in need. Hence, I decided to challenge myself to fundraise for the expedition fees and be prepared to go on board on expedition in just a month’s time. I felt so great when I managed to achieve the goal.

The 3 months on Raleigh expedition was definitely the most exciting, rewarding and challenging 3 months in my life. I have never liked trekking. But I survived the 12 days trek in Long Pasia. I can’t swim but I got my open water diving license, certified by PADI. All these mental and psychical challenges allow me to reevaluate my ability and prove to myself, even my parents that I am able to make a change in my life as well as others’. Every smile from the village kids means more than thank you, it also brings me friendship, surprises, happiness and satisfaction...

Being the host country venturer also means being the communication point between locals and other venturers. I get to learn about Malaysian and British ways of tackling various issues. That was totally an eye-opening learning opportunity as I improved my communication and interpersonal skills. Meeting venturers who are younger than me but have already achieved so much in life provokes me to realize my dream to be a lifetime volunteer.

After coming back from expedition, I serve in Raleigh KL committee. I am glad and excited to send off more Malaysian youths to Raleigh expeditions. Raleigh has reminded me that there are a lot more to achieve in life besides performing well in studies and career. Hence, I work freelance now. I am all geared up to embark on another expedition and involve actively in any volunteering opportunities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

大学生了没

black . hole

表面